Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Top 5 Sources of News and Information

 News today can be reported, presented, interpreted, and viewed in many different ways and thus it is very difficult to know what news sources to trust. The rise of "fake news" and trying to combat misinformation in news and social media has only added to the confusion. Here I will list the top 5 new sources that I most commonly use and/or trust:


1. The New York Times

My most used and trusted news source is The New York Times. The New York Times is a print and digital newspaper that has been distributing news for over 170 years. It is one of the most awarded and circulated newspapers in the United States. I most commonly use this source when I am fact checking a story that I see on social media. In terms of bias the New York Times tends to lean more to the left.



2. The Washington Post

My next most commonly read and trusted news source is The Washington Post. Part of the reason as to why I usually use the Washington Post is due to the fact that I am from the Northern Virginia area so it is circulated at a higher rate. When I was a kid my parents would often be reading this paper and I would hear about many of the stories they read. In my own experience I also use it similarly to the New York Times in order to fact check headlines I see on social media. As for bias the Washington Post leans left on most stories.


3. Instagram

Admittedly, probably my most commonly used source for information and news is Instagram, however my trust for this source is much lower than others on this list. I spend a large amount of time on the app and thus it is where I see most headlines and breaking news first. However, anyone can post on Instagram, and with barely any fact checking, it is difficult to decipher what information is true many times. That is always why I go to another source such as Snopes, or one of the other sources on this list, to make sure if something I question on the app is true or not.


4. ESPN

I love to follow sports and am a sport communications major so obviously one of these sources would be a sports oriented one. ESPN, or Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, is by far the largest and most common sports news outlet in the US and continues to grow by the day. I am constantly watching ESPN whether it be a debate show such as First Take or a Monday Night NFL game. I like ESPN because they are very reliable for providing breaking news about things such as trades and injuries, and also have great analysts to study from.


5. Wikipedia

The final news source that I use often and trust is Wikipedia. Similar to Instagram, this is definitely one of my most commonly visited sources for news. Whenever I want to look up quick information about a person, place, or event I often go to Wikipedia first. This is because in a simple Google search Wikipedia will come up first 9 times out of 10 and also that the layout of the website makes it very easy to find the specific information you need quickly. The only thing to be cautious about is that anyone can edit the information on the website so some information could be wrong, however when false information is posted it is corrected quickly most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology and Privacy

 The three videos that I watched presented some very glaring issues for how we as a society handle our privilege of technology. With the con...